A raw cake for a rad girl! It was my friend Pauline’s birthday a few days ago and I’ve challenged myself by baking a raw cake. Not that I’m into raw food at all, but when I saw that picture on Instagram I said to myself: ‘OMG, I have to try this!’
It is a cake indeed, but not a cake as you would think of. The texture is literally different. Because of the cashew preparation, it’s more a yogurt-like texture. Mainly made of nuts (cashews + almonds) the consistence is a bit dense, meaning that a slice per person should be enough to satisfy your dessert craving.
Good news for the clumsy bakers like me: it’s a can’t-fail recipe, it’s quick to make, and it’s delicious AND healthy. Let’s do it!
FOR THE CRUST (STEP 1) YOU NEED:
FOR THE PREPARATION (STEP 2) YOU NEED:
STEP 1 – the crust
– In a food processor, mix the almonds, dates, agave sirup (optional) and water together.
– Keep mixing until the mixture looks like a big sticky ball.
– Fill the bottom of the mould with the mixture and flatten it.
STEP 2 – the preparation
– In a blender, blend the soaked* cashews, agave sirup, blueberries, water and coconut oil until smooth. This can take a few minutes.
– Pour the preparation over the crust and tap the mould to level out the mixture.
STEP 3 – the wait & degustation
– Place the mould in the freezer for 5-6 hours.
– Remove from the freezer about 15 minutes before eating.
– Feel free to top up with desiccated coconut or berries… or both!
*Cashews soaked overnight (+/- 8 hours)
It’s made here with frozen blueberries, but I’m pretty sure it’d be as good if you make it with frozen strawberries (or if you just prefer to end up with a pink cake 🎀).
If you’re curious about raw/vegan food and would like to try more recipes like this one, I recommend you to follow the beautiful Instagram accounts Let’s cook vegan and Eh Vegan, where the original recipe comes from. Shots are amazing and soooo appealing!