That’s what happens to me on a rainy day in Melbourne: LAZINESS. Me, too lazy to go to the shop and buy a new bottle of laundry liquid…
Lazy indeed, but not when it comes to create a new home-made & chemical-free product! So here I am, drinking a hot tea, I browse the Internet, open my favorite books and look for an easy recipe that requires only a few ingredients that I would have on hand.
Not long after, I got it! Here is my recipe to make 1,5 litres of laundry liquid, 100% natural and chemical-free guaranteed.
- Water – 1,5 litres
- Natural/chemical-free soap – 100 gr
- Baking soda – 5 tablespoons
- White vinegar – 250 ml
- Optional: 10 drops of organic essential oil*
- Big bowl
- Empty bottle
I would have preferred to use Aleppo soap or Marseille soap but I didn’t have any of these on hand (and I was too lazy to go to the shop, remember? 😇 ).
Instead I have used the only not-used-yet soap I had in my bathroom. It’s a purchase from last year, I got it in NYC in a Walgreens shop: Argan Oil & Raw Shea Butter Soap by SheaMoisture.
The composition is pretty awesome and it contains no parabens, no phthalates, no paraffin, no synthetic fragrance, no sulfates. And, pleasant bonus, it is no tested on animals.
Since it is a 230-gramme soap, I simply cut it in half and I’ll use the other half for skin and body needs.
At the very end of the preparation, feel free to add a few drops of your favorite essential oil*: Lavender, Eucalyptus, Lemon… I have opted for Ylang-Ylang, one of my favorite fragrances in the whole world. It’s a powerful sweet and exotic floral smell that has relaxation effects.
If you prefer not to add any, it is not a problem at all. The vinegar will not leave any nasty smell on your laundry.
Ready? Let’s get started!
- Grate the soap into your bowl. (After a few minutes only, that’s probably when you’ll ask yourself ‘Why am I doing this again?!’ but don’t worry, it’ll be quick!)
- Pour 500 ml of hot water (not boiled) over the grated soap and stir for a few minutes. Repeat the operation twice until you have poured 1,5 litres of water.
- Once the soap is completely melted, add the baking soda in and stir again.
- Pour the white vinegar into the soap mixture and mix.
- Once all the ingredients are well mixed, pour the laundry liquid into your empty bottle (to use a funnel might be very helpful here).
- Put the lid on the bottle, and shake, shake, shake, shake again. Shake, shake, shake, shake again. And shake, shake, shake, shake again.
Let it rest for 6-8 hours, shake up again a few times.
Always shake up the bottle before use to ensure ingredients are well mixed.
It is a concentrated laundry liquid, 2-3 tablespoons per laundry should be enough!
*Disclaimer: essential oils should be avoided during pregnancy and placed away from children.